If you own a pool or are looking to have a pool installed on your property, you’re well aware it’s quite the investment. To get the most out of your investment, you’ll need to make sure your pool is well cared for. With all the tools on the market, it can be tough to sift through them all. Don’t waste your precious time and money on random tools and accessories that you don’t actually need. We’ve narrowed down the list to determine the must-have pool tools to help keep it running for the long haul.
What to Know About Keeping Your Pool Clean
A pool can be a big undertaking, but there’s nothing quite like having your own personal oasis for the whole family to enjoy. Keeping your pool clean is critical for protecting your investment and creating a safe, relaxing environment. There are multiple factors to consider when it comes to pool maintenance. Make a point to talk to your contractor or other pool professional about proper upkeep when installing your pool. The main components that require attention and care are:
- The pool water. You will need to keep your pool water clean and balanced in order to provide a safe swimming environment for your family and guests.
- The pool interior. The interior of your pool consists of the walls of your pool liner. Make sure that the walls stay free of algae, mold, and other debris.
- The area surrounding the pool. This includes the deck and patio area around your pool. While you don’t have to be militant in scrubbing the deck around the pool, keeping it tidy will prevent excess debris from drifting into your pool.
How often you clean your pool depends on a variety of factors, including the weather conditions where you live and how often the pool is used. In general, you want to try to clean your pool weekly. While cleaning a pool is definitely a chore, having the right tools on hand can make the job that much easier so you can go back to enjoying your pool that much faster. For more tips and tricks on pool cleaning and maintenance, subscribe to our weekly Pool Tips newsletter.
ProTuff Ultimate Series Telescoping Pool Pole
Every pool owner needs a pool pole to reach debris at the bottom and across the surfaces of their pool. This is a product you’ll want for the lifetime of your pool, so we recommend the ProTuff Ultimate Series Telescoping Pool Pole – the only pool pole with an unlimited replacement warranty. The ProTuff patented Lock Right mechanism allows you to quickly and easily change the length of your pole with a simple push of a button. It also comes in two lengths: 6/12′ and 8/16′.
A few features of this essential pool tool include:
- Super simple length adjustment. The smooth glide and lock right technology makes it easy to adjust scoop debris from the far end of the pool or right in front of you.
- Durable construction. Made from 1.8mm thick, 6061-T6 aluminum, this pool pole is 3X stronger than typical pool poles.
- Great value. The ProTuff Ultimate Series Telescoping Pool Pole is affordable. And with ProTuff’s Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, you’ll never spend another dollar or minute buying a new pool pole.
Pool Chlorine Floater
Every pool needs chlorine in order to maintain an environment that is safe and sanitary for swimming. A pool chlorine floater is a simple device that floats around your pool dispensing chlorine 24/7 to keep your pool properly sanitized. These dispensers do the work for you, making sure that when you are ready to swim, your pool will be clean and safe for use.
ProTuff Pool Leaf Rake
If you want to quickly scoop leaves or sticks from the surface of your pool, you will need a good pool rake. There are a lot of pool rake options on the market, but none work quite as efficiently as the ProTuff Pool Leaf Rake. Built to last and easy to use, this pool rake features a double-stitched, heavy-duty nylon mesh bag, built to collect massive amounts of debris from your pool.
With the ProTuff Lifetime Guarantee, which promises unlimited free parts or complete pool rake replacements for any reason, the ProTuff Pool Leaf Rake offers the best value on the market. Plus, this pool rake features a simple pole attachment that connects to standard pool poles and two sizes – 19″ and 23.” We offer both a leaf and silt rake. The only difference is the tightness of the mesh. Leaf nets for quick clean-up of most debris. Silt nets for more detailed clean-up of smaller particulates like sand, silt, pollen and tiny insects, so even the smallest debris can be easily removed.
During the winter months, or when you know that you won’t be using your pool for some time, you’ll need to place a cover over your pool. A good-quality pool cover can protect your pool from contaminants or damage when it is not in regular use. Most pool covers are made of lightweight materials, making them easy to remove and store when you are ready to get back in the pool. Make sure that your pool cover comes with the necessary tools to install it. For an inground pool, you’ll need brass anchors, hooks, springs. An above ground pool requires attachment clips and weights.
Additionally, when your pool is in season, you’ll want to take advantage of a solar pool cover that easily lays on top of the water to preserve your pool. This is especially recommended if you’re paying to heat your pool as the solar cover attracts and retains heat to help you get the most out of your pool heater.
ProTuff Flat Pool Skimmer Net
A skimmer net resembles a flat, wide fishing net to help remove small debris and dirt from your pool’s surface. A low-cost solution that can be used by almost anyone makes it quick and easy to skim your pool daily – even your kids can do it! The ProTuff Flat Pool Skimmer Net is an indispensable tool for any pool owner, featuring pro-grade durability and a net made of fine mesh to help you capture even the smallest bits of debris from the water.
Stainless Steel Pool Pole Hangers
Keeping the area around your pool clean and tidy is important in order to keep debris from infiltrating your pool. Help keep tools off the deck by purchasing the Stainless Steel Pool Pole Hangers from ProTuff. These heavy-duty double hooks are perfect for keeping your pool pole secure and safe when it is not in use. The hooks are rust-resistant, easy to install, and are not degraded by prolonged exposure to sunlight.
The Stainless Steel Pool Pole Hangers by ProTuff are roughly 3X stronger than the typical pool storage hooks and, of course, come complete with the ProTuff Unlimited Free Replacement Guarantee. You don’t have to worry about a cluttered deck or patio area when you grab a pool hanger from ProTuff.
Other Pool Tools You Should Have On Hand
The tools listed above are the essentials you should have on hand at all times. However, there are additional tools that will also make pool ownership more enjoyable, such as:
- Accessory storage options for your pool. Stylish crates and storage tubs are a good solution for keeping your pool tools and toys off the floor and deck area.
- A pool heater. If you want to use your pool during the cooler months, or if you live in a colder part of the world, a pool heater will help keep your pool water at a comfortable temperature.
- Pool toys. If you have children or frequently entertain guests, consider purchasing a variety of pool toys. Flotation devices, balls, and pool noodles provide fun ways to relax in your pool.
- Pool lights. If you want to get the most out of your pool and enjoy it well into the evening hours, you’ll definitely want to add some pool lights for visibility.
- Pool vacuum. A pool vacuum is a device that connects to a pole and hose in order to deep clean sections of your pool. A pool vacuum is good to have on hand, but is not actually super efficient. It can take a lot of time and have trouble collecting leaves and such. Save yourself a lot of time by using a pool leaf rake to grab the big stuff and a silt rake for the littler stuff, and only pull the vacuum out once in a while.
To truly get the most out of your pool, you should also consider investing in quality patio furniture or decorative options. A little attention to detail can go a long way in creating an inviting, relaxing space for your family and guests.
Check out ProTuff Pool Products
Whether you are a new pool owner or seasoned vet, ProTuff has the pool tool solutions to make your life easier. Check out our full product range on our online storefront or contact us if you have any questions about how to properly maintain your pool. We’ll arm you with the tools that you need to succeed. With the proper care, you’ll be able to enjoy your pool for yours to come.
Disclaimer: Pool ownership and maintenance is very complicated, and we know every situation is unique. While we’ve done our best to cover the best practices here, we encourage you to reach out to ProTuff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any specific questions you may have.